Friday, January 18, 2013

Plant pathogen focus: Pierce's disease and the vineyards of California

Grapevine dying of Pierce's disease. Photo courtesy of PD-GWSS/CDFA.
Xylella fastidiosa  is not your ordinary kind of bug. It made it to the list of the most wanted plant pathogenic bacteria in 2012! (Mansfield, 2012.)

This is well deserved: X. fastidiosa can infect over a hundred species (grapevine, oleander, citrus, almonds,…), and it causes severe symptoms that can kill the infected plant. The Xylella bacteria colonize the xylem vessels, and by doing so they block the transport of water in the plant. The water-deprived leaves dry and scorch, until finally they drop to the ground. 

In 1892, Newton Pierce, California’s first professional plant pathologist, described the disease that now bears his name, although he failed to identify the causative agent of the disease (X. fastidiosa). Around the end of the 19th century, an epidemic of Pierce’s disease devastated thousands of hectares of vineyards in the Los Angeles Basin. Since then, southern California has considerably reduced its viticulture; this also explains why present-day Californian vineyards are mostly restricted to the north of the state. There is currently no other cure than getting rid of the infected plants!


Xylella fastidiosa rod cells. Photo courtesy of Jeremy Warren.
The dispersion of the disease is associated with the distribution of its vector insects, sharpshooter leafhoppers. Sharpshooters carrying X. fastidiosa in their guts feed on the grapevine’s sap, which allows the bacteria to infect the plant’s xylem in the process. (Sharpshooters are found in North and South America, but not in Europe, hence the absence of the disease in ‘old world’ vineyards.) Along the coast of California, the spread of Pierce’s disease is associated with the distribution of the blue-green sharpshooter. With increasing latitude, as the winter becomes colder, the sharpshooters are less prominent and Pierce’s disease is less of a problem

Pierce’s disease has thus been endemic in California for more than a century. Since the 1990s, however, a new vector insect from southeastern US, the glassy-winged sharpshooter, has colonized California and has considerably worsened the situation. Unlike the native Californian vectors, the glassy-winged sharpshooter has feeding habits that favor chronic infections by X. fastidiosa. The incidence of Pierce’s disease became so alarming that in 1999 the Californian Department of Food and Agriculture funded an ambitious research program, led by the University of California, to fight the spread of the disease. Every year from 2001 to 2011, a research symposium was organized by the Pierce’s Disease Control Program (PDCP) to account for the latest research developments, with UC Davis significantly contributing to the research effort.

What are the strategies to mitigate the disease? There are plenty! First, there is the control of the vector, the glassy-winged sharpshooter. This includes the use of insecticide, but other approaches such as biological control prove to be efficient. In the biocontrol strategy, parasitoid wasps are released in order to destroy the sharpshooters’ eggs before they hatch, and this can drastically reduce the sharpshooters’ population. This work is notably done at the Center for Invasive Species Research at UC Riverside, and they have a nice video explaining the topic:



A different type of biocontrol strategy is to inoculate grapevine with avirulent or weakly virulent strains of X. fastidiosa. These bacteria would cause only mild symptoms in the plants while protecting them from virulent strains that would kill the vine. This is done by the group of Donald Hopkins at the University of Florida.

A lot of efforts are on-going to better understand the biology of Xylella fastidiosa, and thereby finding new ways of controlling the bacteria. The genome of X. fastidiosa was sequenced in 2000, which gave clues about the bacterium’s pathogenicity factors. At present a tremendous amount of research is done on the molecular biology of X. fastidiosa, for instance in the groups of Bruce Kirkpatrick (UC Davis), Caroline Roper (UC Riverside) and Steven Lindow (UC Berkeley). (See for instance Voegel, 2012.)

Ultimately, the best would be to prevent the development of X. fastidiosa in the grapevine. The problem is that none of the grape varieties currently grown in California are resistant to Pierce’s disease. Some resistant varieties exist in southeast US, and plant breeding can be done to render the Californian grapes more resistant. This work is done by the group of Andrew Walker at UC Davis. The pitfall, though, is that for the wine industry it is important to maintain traditional cultivars (Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, etc.), because it ensures fruit quality and good marketing.

Because winemakers prefer their traditional varieties over new breeds, genetic engineering might be a viable alternative to conventional crossings. Currently, many different transgenic grapes are being tested for their ability to withstand Pierce’s disease. For instance, my neighbors-from-the-lab-next-door, in the group of Bruce Kirkpatrick, are developing a transgenic grapevine that produces a protein called hemagglutinin in its sap. This protein, which was isolated from X. fastidiosa itself, can act as a 'molecular glue', triggering the aggregation of the bacteria that invade the xylem and thus limiting their propagation in the plant. The testing of this transgenic grapevine is currently under way.

Another interesting approach is the one pioneered by Abhaya Dandekar, also at UC Davis. The group of Dandekar developed a chimeric protein to target X. fastidiosa in the sap. One part of this chimera is an enzyme that recognizes the bacterium's surface, while the other part is a lytic peptide that creates holes in its cell membrane; the synergistic effect of the two parts kills the Xylella bacteria!  This new type of chimeric proteins is full of promise, not only for Pierce's disease but for all sorts of infections in plants and animals. (Dandekar, 2012.)

Overall, this pluralistic research maximizes the chances to find effective treatments against Pierce's disease. The disease is at present kept at bay, but it is thanks to constant efforts of vineyards management and to the early eradication of infection hotbeds. It will take more to kick Xylella fastidiosa out of the 'ten most-wanted' list, though, but researchers in California are working towards that goal!

More information and videos are available on the website of the PD-GWSS board and on Pierce's disease.org.

References:





12 comments:

  1. Viruses are typically named after the first economically important host in which they were found, and the symptom they induce. The initials of the name are used to identify it. For example, the first well-studied plant virus was the Tobacco Mosaic Virus, or TMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sincerely i was so sad when my mom was diagnosed with ALS before November of 2018, since the prognosis she has lost the ability to speak, struggles to chew and swallow, her arm strength is minimal on her best days and she’s loosing control of her balance and neck muscles. She has began to decline not only in health but mentally as well as she has given up the fight it seems, i couldn’t just watch my mom dying so i decided to go into the internet for a possible solution and luckily i saw a Facebook post singing the praises of a herbal formula from Dr James herbal clinic that someone with ALS used and got cured and quickly contacted the email ( jamesherbalformula@gmail.com ) and order for the formula and since she started using the formula my mom have recovered greatly. am so happy and thanks James for reviving my mom. you can contact him for the ALS herbal formula via his above email and also add him on hangout or through his whatsapp number +2348102574680 Regards  

      Delete
  2. I HAVE SOME VINES IN MY BACK YARD IN ALABAMA, AND PIERCE disease has destroyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think because I was a woman that my signs and symptoms weren't taken seriously and therefor left untreated for so long,I was taking pramipexole dihydrochloride three times daily, I Was on carbidopa levodopa but only lasted 90 minutes then wore off.I found that none of the current medications worked effective for me.I got tired of using those medication so I decided to apply natural herbs formula that was prescribed to me by my second P.T, i purchase the herbal formula from totalcureherbsfoundation. com, There has been huge progression ever since I start the treatment plan which will last for 15 weeks usage.all the symptoms and sign has begin to disappear .

    ReplyDelete
  4. sincerely i was so sad when my mom was diagnosed with ALS before November of 2018, since the prognosis she has lost the ability to speak, struggles to chew and swallow, her arm strength is minimal on her best days and she’s loosing control of her balance and neck muscles. She has began to decline not only in health but mentally as well as she has given up the fight it seems, i couldn’t just watch my mom dying so i decided to go into the internet for a possible solution and luckily i saw a Facebook post singing the praises of a herbal formula from Dr James herbal clinic that someone with ALS used and got cured and quickly contacted the email ( jamesherbalformula@gmail.com ) and order for the formula and since she started using the formula my mom have recovered greatly. am so happy and thanks James for reviving my mom. you can contact him for the ALS herbal formula via his above email and also add him on hangout or through his whatsapp number +2348102574680 Regards  

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom ALS started out with a foot drop on her left foot. From there her left leg lost all muscle tone and all the entire left leg muscles were almost gone. Also her fingers and thumbs "contract" at times. Left arm is losing muscle tone too,she have been suffering from amyotrophic laterals sclerosis (ALS) disease for the last seven years and had constant pain which really get us worried, especially in her knees, the only treatment for this ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is natural organic treatments honestly ,Multivitamin Herbal Care has the perfect herbal remedy to Motor Neuron Disease including,getting into bed was also another thing she finds impossible. We had to find a better solution for her condition which has really helped her a lot,The biggest help we had was multivitamincare .org today  (or SMS): +1 -956- 758-7882. They walked us through the proper steps, I highly recommend these herbs to anyone suffering from ALS.

    ReplyDelete

  6. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhota cure them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr Ebhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr ehiaguna rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2018 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr ehiaguna, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email: drehiaguna@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 14 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ehiaguna to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drehiaguna@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never thought herbal medicine could cure herpes. However it wouldn't have been possible for me to gain my health back without the kind support and help of the doctor babaiba. I would like to extend my golden sincere thanks to doctor babaiba who helped me with his herbal medicine which he sent to me through DHL courier services. I start by introducing the great herbalist doctor babaiba who is so powerful and good in herbal medicine to cure any kind of illness. I am highly indebted to doctor babaiba for his help in curing me of herpes with his herbs. Don't let anyone deceive you because I am a living testimony. The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary is the "Extra" My dear friends go for the Extra and regain your health back to normal again with doctor babaiba herbs. You can purchasing doctor herbal remedy through his WhatsApp number: +2348140046509 or via email drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband had MND ALS, first symptom was weakness in his fingers, one day, we had a dream life with early retirement and then, when we went to find out about the weakness, our whole world almost changed. There are so many things that can be said abt the suffering and frustration of people with ALS, we look back now and realize in many ways how lucky we were to found Multivitamin herbal cure that was able to get rid of my husband ALS disease totally, we had time to enjoy life and above all we all had time to also share this great testimony , many people lose loved ones without closure. I can’t imagine going thru all that you or your family had to live with daily, do not hesitate to contact w w w multivitamincare .org for ALS cure.❤💙💚

    ReplyDelete
  10. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1 an 2 is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure HSV and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 16 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr oduku. Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr oduku natural herbs helped saved me from Genital herpes permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful Herbalist Dr oduku by reaching him on whatsApp +2348124765093 also EMAIL: drodukuherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com or visit his page https://www.facebook.com/Droduku/
    Dr Oduku is the best herbal doctor.
    Here is my private e-mail laurielkeene159@gmail.com you can also get in touch with me.

    ReplyDelete

  11. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete